Saturday, October 27, 2012

Why The Unemployment Rate Is Only Slowly Going Down

I have a theory on why companies are not hiring as they used to. Many companies finally learned that they need to focus on their employees because happy people sell the product better. Some companies already knew this, but the idea of being empathetic to employees caught on and spread. I think that companies are looking to keep going through the depression/recession and to come out ahead by creating an excellent working atmosphere.

I don't think companies are afraid to hire, I think the energy of running the company was refocused. They aren't working on hiring not because they are afraid of who will be president, companies will make it through any presidency.

I won't know for years or decades whether my hypothesis is true, but if we can shift our own attention instead of letting news/media (tv, internet...wherever you get your news) inform us on what to be afraid of, maybe we can make up our own minds. There is always at least one more side to the stories we are given. I choose to look into the stuff that politicians speak of as well as what news casters state. I hope I'm not the only one. Several years ago, my ex asked me who I was voting for so he wouldn't have to do the work. (that should have been a clue that he couldn't make up his own mind so we wouldn't work well together) I engaged him in a small conversation about a few topics on the ballot so he would make his own decisions. It was too much for him. I have since met others who don't want to vote or don't know how to look into issues. If politicians won't change then we have to. How can we help each other, calmly-no arguing!, look into things and make decisions? That's sort of rhetorical, post responses if you want to...comments and conversation is fun, but it's meant to be food for thought.

After typing all that, now I'm wondering if using the idea of empathy in an interview will get more people hired. Some companies might not know which way they want to go to get through this. If someone shows up with confidence and compassion, maybe they will get hired. Maybe too many people are feeling desperate and it shows when they interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment